Mercury is known for its metallic nature despite being a liquid. But, did you know what it was extensively used in the field of dentistry a few years ago? Yes, it's true.
Mercury was used in the form of amalgam, which is essentially a mixture of Mercury with a metal. Amalgam was mostly used as a filling material to fill cavities caused due to tooth decay. However, its use has been reduced considerably in the field of dentistry owing to certain unfavorable properties that it has. At our dental practice, we are entirely against the use of Mercury in any of our treatment procedures!
What are the disadvantages of Mercury restorations?
- Mercury fillings can cause infections due to their toxic nature. Since they are located very close to the tooth pulp in the cavities, they can cause toxic infections in the root canal cavity.
- Mercury fillings have a lustrous appearance, making them quite apparent when placed on the teeth. Chances are high that people you talk to would notice them, which can lead to embarrassment.
- Mercury fillings ruin the appearance of a person's smile.
- Since Mercury is a metal, its rate of expansion and contraction would be different from that of the natural enamel. Hence, there are chances for the tooth to crack when patients consume foods that are too hot or cold.
What's the solution?
At our dental practice, we use restorations made from tooth-colored ceramic material. We also use a tooth-colored composite resin that is biocompatible and readily accepted by the tissues of the mouth. Both these materials can be customized to match the color, texture, and translucency of the natural enamel. Also, they are highly durable, long-lasting, and have a similar rate of expansion and contraction as that of the enamel. Anyone who sees you smile wouldn't have the faintest idea that restoration is placed on your tooth.
Call us at (850) 763 4545 or schedule an online appointment with Arzu Esroy, D.M.D. and we’ll be able to guide you further.